||RESTORATION IN USHI's ST. SARGIS MONASTERY|
| The monastic complex of Ushi's St. Sargis is located at the extremity of a settlement site dating back to the period between the 3rd and 1st millennia B.C., half a kilometre west of Ushi Village, Aragatzotn Marz (a unit of administrative division in the Republic of Armenia), RA, 5 kms north of Ashtarak City, at an altitude of 1,410 metres above sea level. Erected between the 5th and 18th centuries, it was reduced to ruins by the earthquakes of 1679 and 1827.
The only surviving structure of the complex is a chapel built over St. Sargis' grave: a single-nave vaulted building of a gable roof and finely-finished basalt (exterior dimensions: 5.8 x 8 metres), it is in emergency conditions and bears the traces of some repairs. Its foundation is traditionally connected with War-Lord Sargis, the prince of Cappadocia (361-363), who was banished by Emperor Julian and found haven in Armenian king Arshak's court. Leaving for Persia, Sargis served in king Shapuh's army, but he was soon beheaded on the latter's order for preaching Christianity. Commander Sargis was buried in the village town of Namyan, Mazandaran Province, a delegation led by St. Mesrop moving his remains to Armenia and interring them on an elevation not far from Ushi Village in the first decade of the 5th century.
The monastic complex, which occupies a territory of 45 x 54 metres, consists of the following buildings: St. Sargis Chapel, Sourb Astvatzatzin (Holy Virgin) Church, a vestibule, a belfry, a refectory, a vaulted guest-chamber, some monk dwellings and utility rooms, all of them surrounded by ramparts and fortified by double-storied circular towers in the corners.
One of the centres of spiritual education in Armenia, Ushi's St. Sargis retains some splendid specimens of Armenian architecture tracing back to different periods.
The Archaeology and Ethnography Institute of the National Academy of Sciences, RA, headed by Frina Babayan, conducted excavations in the monument under the patronage of Archbishop Shahen Ajemian, dean of the Theology Faculty of Yerevan State University.
The monastery, which is also a famous pilgrimage site, is of great significance among monuments of Christian culture. In December 2003 some work was carried out for the conservation of its chapel, already in emergency conditions, whose restoration will commence after the melting of snow, in the spring of 2004.